At the beginning of the summer term all new pupils joining Durham School are given a handbook telling them all relevant and important information about which House they will be joining as well as a list of important items to bring with them. Boarders usually share a room with one other pupil of the same or similar age and if space permits boarders may have a room to themselves.
- All bedrooms contain a wardrobe but storage is limited. Pupils are strongly advised, therefore, to bring plastic storage drawers or boxes with lids in which to store personal items.
- Pupils bring their own toiletries, and may bring battery-operated (not mains- powered) toothbrushes if preferred.
- Pillow-cases and bed-sheets are provided by Durham School.
- All items (including clothing) should be named, either with name tags or permanent marker pen. Pupils are advised to bring a pen with them in order to name extra items.
- ipods and mobile telephones are permitted, and pupils may find a laptop computer useful for prep. However, pupils must be responsible in their attitude to security and ensure that valuable items are stored safely and carefully.
- Every room contains a large pin-board for displaying photographs, posters, cards and so on.
- Hair straighteners are not permitted due to the risk of fire.