Within a community shaped by moral integrity and kindness, Durham School aims to cultivate responsibility and ambition to ensure that every Dunelmian can thrive, be happy, and make a positive mark in the world.
The three pillars of Durham School which support this aim and so provide an environment where pupils can explore, make mistakes, learn and grow are:
- Academic challenge which gives students a lifelong appetite for learning.
- Pastoral care to provide our students with emotional, moral and spiritual strength.
- Co-curricular opportunities which enrich and develop the individual, and foster leadership, collaboration and teamwork.
We do this by nurturing and supporting our students to become:
- Thinkers who can understand, research, evaluate and create, both collaboratively and independently.
- Individuals who are morally sound, emotionally resilient, reflective and effective communicators.
- Adults who act with responsibility, humility and kindness and are ready to make a positive contribution to society.
A traditional British boarding school with a modern international community, Durham School encourages pupils to take full advantage of everything a busy, co-educational school has to offer, living life to the full as part of a community in which the individual flourishes.
- Excellent pastoral care ensures pupils are known as individuals and challenged to develop their talents.
- Houses create a sense of belonging that roots pupils to the School.
- Faithful to its Cathedral foundation but respectful of the beliefs of others, collective worship and reflection build community.
- Its location in the city centre enhances pupils’ learning through its well-established relationship with Durham University.
- A full and rounded curriculum encourages pupils to aspire and have the confidence to succeed.
- An inclusive ethos provides academic challenge for all abilities.
- A full and varied programme challenges pupils to develop all aspects of their lives on the sports’ pitch, on stage, and elsewhere.
- Healthy competition both within the School and outside provides opportunities to learn how to fail and how to succeed.
Receipt of a secure email (221Kb)
Viewing PDF files: If your system does not have Adobe Acrobat installed, click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free.