At the beginning of the summer term all new pupils joining Durham School are given a handbook telling them all relevant and important information about which House they will be joining as well as a list of important items to bring with them. Boarders usually share a room with one other pupil of the same or similar age and if space permits boarders may have a room to themselves.
- All bedrooms contain a wardrobe but storage is limited. Pupils are strongly advised, therefore, to bring plastic storage drawers or boxes with lids in which to store personal items.
- Pupils bring their own toiletries, and may bring battery-operated (not mains- powered) toothbrushes if preferred.
- Pillow-cases and bed-sheets are provided by Durham School.
- All items (including clothing) should be named, either with name tags or permanent marker pen. Pupils are advised to bring a pen with them in order to name extra items.
- ipods and mobile telephones are permitted, and pupils may find a laptop computer useful for prep. However, pupils must be responsible in their attitude to security and ensure that valuable items are stored safely and carefully.
- Every room contains a large pin-board for displaying photographs, posters, cards and so on.
- Hair straighteners are not permitted due to the risk of fire.
"Our guide's engaging manner, politeness, sense of humour and informative commenting said much about the school and ensured that our visit was both positive and worthwhile."
Mrs Garner, Open Morning visitor